Though turning your thermostat down a few degrees is the most effective way to save on heating costs, we also suggest these seven tips to trim your utility bills without sacrificing comfort:
- Do annual equipment maintenance for higher efficiency.
- Change your furnace filter at recommended intervals.
- Reverse the rotation of your ceiling fans to push warm air back down where you’ll feel it most.
- Let the sun shine in during the day to take advantage of natural solar heat, and close blinds and curtains at night to keep the heat in.
- Seal drafty windows and doors.
- Check and replenish insulation in walls and attics.
- Use a programmable thermostat to reduce heating when you’re asleep or away from home.