For every degree you set your thermostat above 72 degrees Fahrenheit, you’ll save about eight percent on cooling costs. If that feels too warm, start lower and raise the setting gradually—just one degree a day—until you’re used to feeling comfortable without over-cooling your home. In addition, follow these tips:
- Have your air conditioner cleaned annually.
- Change your air filter at the appropriate times.
- Run washing machines and dishwashers in the evening—hang clothes outside to dry whenever possible.
- Use compact fluorescent lighting.
- Keep curtains and shades closed during the day to keep out the sun’s warm rays.
- Install and use a programmable thermostat.