Your First Four Seasons in Your New Home
Buying your first home is a big, exciting moment, but once you’ve unpacked, the real fun begins. There’s a lot to know and do to help your home run like the dream it’s meant to be. The pros at Seider Heating, Plumbing & Electrical have been helping new and experienced homeowners since 1912, and they can help you, too. In this guide, we’ve broken down the basics by season, with a few need-to-know tips to help you make your new house feel like home.
Spring Things to Do Around the House
- Get your air conditioner ready with a professional tuneup for higher efficiency and fewer repairs.
- Test your sump pump by pouring a five-gallon bucket of water into the pit. This should raise the float and activate the pump. If it doesn’t turn on, call for repair or replacement.
- Clean and repair screens to keep pests out and seal around windows to keep AC in for efficiency.
- Lubricate exterior locks and hinges, plus garage door tracks, gates, and more.
- Apply “weed and feed” to your lawn and sharpen your mower blades.
- Clean your dryer vent pipe for cleaner air and a lower fire risk.
Summer Tips That Save Time and Money
- Flush out AC drain line with bleach twice during the summer to prevent mold and blockages.
Consider an air purifier to alleviate allergies. It can also kill the germs that cause summer colds.
- Reseal your deck and driveway every three to five years, and scrape, prime, and repair exterior walls and trim as needed.
- Invest in a generator that keeps your home’s comfort and safety systems running, even if a storm knocks out electrical service.
- Add outdoor lighting for security and evening enjoyment.
Preparing for Fall in Your New Home
- Kill cold and flu viruses by adding UV lights to your heating and cooling systems, or replacing bulbs if you already have this add-on for better air quality.
- Even if you have gutter guards, clean your gutters at least once a year.
Drain and flush your water heater every year to keep it working better for longer.
- Remove leaves and dead plants, and trim branches that give squirrels access to your attic.
Winter Wins for Comfort
365 Days of Heating, Cooling, Plumbing, Electrical, and Remodeling Service
You never know what to expect with a new home, but you can count on Seider Heating for help. Our heating and cooling technicians, plumbers, and electricians are available every day, at any hour, if you have an emergency. We’re also here for you if you want to talk about ways to make your home more comfortable and efficient in the years ahead.